The League of Women Voters® (LWV),is a citizen activist, multi-purpose, grassroots organization that operates at the local, state, and national level. The League was formed more than 80 years ago as part of the legacy of the woman's suffrage movement. Today, the League represents over 90,000 women and men. The LWV of Albany County serves the local Albany County area, and concentrates on issues affecting the county.
The League's purpose is to:
- Encourage the active and informed participation of citizens in government
- Increase understanding of major public policy issues
- Secure public policies that promote League goals reached through member participation and agreement.
The League is for both women and men who want to
- contribute valuable service to the community
- make informed decisions about how to vote
- participate in promoting an informed electorate
- have real input into laws and policies of America
- gain knowledge and experience through study and discussion of timely and important topics
What We Do
- register voters and defend voting right
- distribute nonpartisan information on candidates and ballot issue
- monitor government activities
- conduct candidates debates and public issues forums
- inform through in-depth and balanced issues analysis
- study issues
- take action, lobby, and testify on the issues you care about
The League does not work on behalf of candidates or political parties. We are a non-partisan organization.
The League registers voters, defends voting rights, monitors government activities, sponsors candidate debates and public issue forums, informs through our in-depth and balanced issues analysis, studies issues, takes action, lobbies, testifies on the issues you care about. We help put laws on the books.
All League members are welcome at board meetings
Our League Board meets monthly (please check current bulletin for more information) at St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church, 440 Whitehall Rd, Albany, at 7:00 pm. Members are always welcome to attend.